On the right just over the crossroads is the Estate Office (built as a village school in 1878). Further along are the school cottages built in 1882-3 and a former foundry in the cottage set back from the road. The last house on the right in this row is Hill House, with a distinctive rounded end and a high dormer window; this comprised both the estate offices and the residence of the agent in the time of the Smith family.
On the left are the extensive playing-field facilities, with a children’s play area, swings , football and cricket pitches, tennis courts, a bowling green and a pavilion. The playing-fields themselves were laid down by Ronald Vestey in 1954. There are some handsome chestnuts and limes near the entrance. Beyond the playing fields is a lake (which was dug in 1959-60) belonging to Thurlow Estate; the lake is private but some of the waterfowl can usually be seen (and heard) over the hedge or from the gates by the road. There is a heronry in the trees beyond, handily placed for the lake and the river, of course.
The last house on the right, quite a way further on as you leave the village, is Willow Hall which was built by the Smith family in 1882, originally as two cottages.
The beech avenues that lead out of Great Thurlow along this road and along the Withersfield and Bury Roads (Walks 1 and 2) were planted in 1977 for the Queen’s Jubilee.