Thurlow Farmers’ Market
Thurlow Homemade & Homegrown Market was started in 2020 by Fay Gridley (River Glem Smallholders), Lou & John Griffiths (Totham Bangers) and Derrick Tooke (Silverfins).
Just as they got started, along came Covid-19 and the market was temporarily halted as the country went into lockdown. Once rules changed the market was held outdoors and has continued this way ever since. Then when rules allowed markets to hold indoor events, the hall was used too and we now have a range of produce that has been handmade, grown, nurtured, crafted and in many cases loved available for visitors of the market to purchase.
In recent months Thurlow WI have joined and hold a monthly café serving refreshments and selling their home baked cakes and treats.
Covid meant a few traders have changed how they sell their produce and have left the market, but in their spaces new traders have joined us, meaning an ever-changing range of products, many of which are one of a kind, are on offer.
Our regular stallholders are:
- Totham Bangers – Handmade, free range pork sausages in several flavours to choose from (they make 30 flavours!), scotch eggs and handmade chorizo.
Totham Bangers also cook the breakfast, offering their own cooked sausages and bacon butties on their outdoor grill; the smell of cooking is divine!
- River Glem Smallholders – Homemade meat and vegetarian pies, using mostly meats from their own smallholding, elderflower cordial when in season and a range of pastries including sausage rolls (sausages from Totham Bangers), turnovers and pasties.
- Silverfins Shellfish – Bringing Cromer crabs and lobster fished from the family trawler (now in third generation), and an array of shellfish such as prawns & cockles, plus seafood pies and Coquilles St Jacques.
- Turn & Burn – making a wonderful selection of upcycled and hand turned wooden items, many of which have colour added and designs that have been burned into the wood.
- Sheila’s Homemade Cushions – peg bags, craft bags, lavender bags, essential face masks and more with some of the most beautiful fabrics.
- Shirley – handmade necklaces and earrings using silver, gems and stones.
- Poundsworth – bringing a large selection of fresh fruit, vegetables and salads, plus eggs. Most produce has been grown in East Anglia.
- Thurlow WI – running the café, serving tea, coffee & cake, plus cakes and treats to take away.
- Dave’s Plants – Dave grows many of his own plants at his home nursery in Nowton, Bury St Edmunds and brings a different selection with him every month.
- Kbroffee – Karen is up in the early hours baking her artisan breads and bakes ready for you to take home – a fresh loaf on a Sunday and in time for lunch!
- Green Pear Eco – Refill and plastic free products. Fancy being a little more environmentally friendly? So many solutions available here and they provide a refill delivery service too!
- Baby Sparkles – Pam handknits and crochets the most delightful baby clothes and makes new baby cards – a gift for a newborn and young babies.
- Cards in Bloom – Sue Varian, a photographer from Withersfield brings her range of cards and prints, mugs and photobooks.
- The Jam Trolley – Julia brings a range of delicious jams, marmalades and jellies (mmm, spread on fresh bread from kbroffee – sounds very tempting to us!)
Sunday November 7th
Welcoming back Summerhouse Aromatherapy with their range of handmade soaps, diffusers, and candles (made in Great Bradley – just up the road!).
And new to us: Borakis Greek Foods with olives, oils, goats cheese, stuffed peppers, dips, biscuits and bakes to name but a few.
Payments: Thanks to the free Wi-Fi at the hall most of our stallholders accept card payments, However, not all can do this so best bring a little cash with you too!
We are so much looking forward to seeing you every First Sunday of the Month!